For this blog entry, I found a text that discusses the topic of using games for teaching concepts. The general idea is as children we begin learning by doing. Hands-on assignments and laboratory work progress this learning style. We can read all the theory we like, but we actually learn by doing.
According to the author, people use games as a means of expression. Gaming is a phenomenon that touches nearly everyone. Games and game environments provide a space wherein one can solve problems, interact with others, and build social networks.
The charm of play and the popularity of digital games inevitably leads to the question: can gaming be used in teaching? Through games, students are often prepared to go to great lengths in order to achieve their goals. With this pedagogic strategy, students will continue to learn concepts by questioning and discovering in the seeking of new understandings.
So, the real question comes as how do we present information to students in a meaningful and exciting way? How can we bring textbooks to life?
According to the author of this text, experience has shown that students are drawn to game-like learning environments and find in them the necessary motivation to undertake the study of a given subject.
Teachers and schools can no longer view themselves simply as distributors of information. The focus of education is shifting towards the task of understanding a computerized digital world that contains great amounts of noisy information. The functions of games and learning environments are converging, and more often than not learning in this setting occurs in a less self-conscious manner, using modern digital instruments to explore and test the large quantities of information that is available to students.
Students are motivated by using gaming strategy and techniques to learn new material. The real question now is to what degree do we use gaming concepts?
Reference:
Hug, Theo, (2007). Didactics of Microlearning Concepts, Discourses and Examples, Waxmann Verlag Publishers, New York
Tuesday, March 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Debbie,
ReplyDeleteI found that, when I studied Physics in college, if a problem dealt with car mechanics, I was completely lost. But take that same problem, utilizing the same concepts, equations, etc., and phrase it in a scenario that had to do with rockets and outer space, it was clear and solvable to me. I love astronomy and am bored to pieces by automotive technology. I don't understand it, but my brain worked fine when I found the subject interesting and couldn't make the transition to a dull subject. Why? I can't explain it but it works... I guess you'll be able to tell me by the time you become an expert and I can't wait -- it's always been something I've wondered about. --> Liz